Grammar school continues to reinforce the important academic and social skills emphasized in the primary school:
- quality written work completed in a timely manner
- legible penmanship and accurate spelling
- speed and accuracy in arithmetic
- reading comprehension and vocabulary acquisition
- memorization of poetry and Scripture
- appropriate classroom behavior
- discipline and self-control
- good manners and respect for adults and classmates
Students learn from well-designed materials and high quality content covering Latin, Mathematics, Composition, Literature, Christian Studies, Classical Studies, American/Modern Studies, Science, Art and Music.
Classrooms are quiet, disciplined, and orderly, with minimal visual distractions. Students are motivated to work and learn because they are led by knowledgeable, enthusiastic teachers. Students work hard and are rewarded every day with breaks for physical exercise, music, drawing, art, and review games. Students are carefully prepared for the reading of classic literature and history, and for advanced math and science which begin in the Upper School.
- Latin--Memoria Press
- Mathematics: Christian Light
- Composition: Chrisitian Light Language Arts, Memoria Press Classical Composition
- Literature: Memoria Press
- Enrichment: Memoria Press Christian Studies, Classical Studies, Science, and American/Modern Studies
Classwork: Students are given ample time to complete classroom assignments, which are carefully monitored so that students learn to do quality written work in a timely fashion.
Homework: Students who are attentive and work diligently in class should have no more than 30-45 minutes of homework each night and 3-4 hours on Fridays. Though we only attend school Monday - Thursday, students will be expected to complete independent Friday assignments.
Homework varies by grade but usually consists of:
- Latin Review & memory work review
- Preparing for upcoming quizzes and tests
- Finish any unfinished daily work